We realize that not all of our residents may be an expert plumber, electrician or general contractor. You may not know how to clear out a clogged shower drain or fix a toilet flapper, but were here to help you learn how. There may be tasks around the house that can seem difficult, but are actually very easy to complete, and will keep your rental home in the best possible shape! Below are some easy tips, and helpful hints, to help you if and when
maintenance issues around the home occur.
Renter’s Tool Kit:
First, it is always smart to keep a few essential tools handy. We suggest keeping these go-to tools on hand because just having the basics can go a long way around the home.
- Duct Tape
- Tape Measure
Change Your Air Filters:
Next, most homes have some sort of furnace or air source running throughout the house. Changing your air filters every 30-60 days is very important for many reasons. Here are few key reasons:
- Better Air Flow
- Eliminate Dust
- Reduce the electric bill
- Extend the life of the unit
Troubleshooting at Home:
Here are a few minor issues that may arise while living in your Silver Bay home along with our recommended course of action.
- Clogged Drain
Solution: Using a drain snake, put your drain snake down the clogged area, and pull up any residue that is in the way.
- Odor from a drain
Solution: Run warm water for about 10 minutes on the affected drain
- Jammed Garbage Disposal
- First, check your breaker, something could have tripped and turned it off.
- Next, press the Reset button found on the bottom of the unit underneath your sink.
- If the disposal is jammed you will need to make sure to turn the power off to the disposal or turn the breaker off.
- Locate the disposal underneath the sink and use a wrench to free up the disposal
- Remove anything that could be obstructing the operation of the disposal.
If you have the Renter’s tool kit, remember to change your air filters frequently and keep in mind the solutions to the few minor maintenance problems we’ve listed, you are going to be in great shape. Remember we have tons of Troubleshooting Videos on the Blog for you to use anytime!